This article tells the story of the west-facing library at Streatham Park, which for several years was venue for many dinners which were attended by many celebrated visitors.
Hester Maria Thrale (Queeney)
1764 - 1857
Streatham Park, or Streatham Place, was built in 1730 by Ralph Thrale (1698-1758) on 89 acres of land bought from the local Lord of the Manor - the fourth Duke of Bedford. It was rumoured that the sale price was a ten-year supply of ale and porter for the Duke's home
First-born, Hester Maria was born in Southwark on 17th September 1764 and christened at St Saviour's Church by Rev James Evans on 24 September 1764. She was named after her grandmother Hester Maria Salusbury Cotton. Her godparents were grandmother Hester Maria Salusbury Cotton, aunt Susanna Nesbitt and 5 year old cousin Sir John Lade.