In 1951 Earl Spencer of Althorp offered the estate for sale by auction which included the house, Bury Farm and five enclosures of arable land. It then became Aylesford House School which had moved from London Road in St Albans. Later Aylesford House was absorbed by Hardenwick School.
A considerable amount of remedial works was done to convert the mansion into three superb establishments. A complete re-roofing were commenced even before completion of the purchase. A dividing wall was built from the cellars to the crutch of the roof, and one unit was sold in November 1979.
Richard Thrale continued to refurbished the shell into a beautiful home that became known as Sandridgebury House and took up residence in March 1981. The Old School House and coach-house were separately divided off, occupied and refurbished. Sandridgebury is now home to four families and the Thrale family are resident is Sandridge once again.
For more information on Sandridgebury and its history - see Janet Rose's book.
|Sandridge, Hertfordshire, England|
|Places||Location · Parish bounds · St Leonards church · Nomansland · Sandridgebury · Marshalswick · Fairfolds · Harefield · Waterend|
|People||Rober Thrale (the elder) · Thrales of Sandridge · Richard William Thrale · Thomas Thrale's 1600 will · Johnathan Parsons' 1768 will · Ralph Thrale's goblet|
|Genealogy||Sandridge vital records · 21 people called Ralph Thrale|
|More||Thrale.com Sandridge forum · Historic Sandridge · Historic Sandridge Revisited · Village website · Parish Council|